Can I get married in one of your churches?

We would love to have your wedding here if we can.
There are certain legal and spiritual requirements which must be satisfied before proceeding further.

Do you/ does your partner live in the Parish in which you hope to be married?
If not, do you/does your partner have Qualifying Connections with the parish such as:

  • you have at some time lived in the parish for at least 6 months
  • you have regularly attended normal church services in the parish for at least 6 months
  • your parents live of have lived in the parish for at least 6 months during your lifetime
  • your parents have regularly attended normal services in the parish for at least 6 months
  • your parents or grandparents were married in the church.
  • you were baptised or prepared for confirmation in the church?

(In this list references to being baptised, confirmed or married, or attending public worship, all refer to Church of England services) 

Everyone is entitled to be married in the Parish Church where they live, but if you choose a church in a different parish you must have 'Qualifying Connections' to be married there. If neither of you is resident and neither of you has any of the qualifying connections mentioned above, you will need to become qualified by regularly attending services in your chosen church for at least 6 months. There is a folder at the back of the church which we would ask you to sign each time you attend. You will find details of Services in the Lymington Times or on our website. We interpret 'regularly' to mean twice a month.

Banns are normally read on 3 consecutive Sundays within 3 months of the wedding in the church in which the wedding is to take place and in the Home Parish of the bride and groom (if that is different). You must arrange for the Banns to be read in your home parish(es) and the Banns Certificate(s) from the home parish(es) must be returned to the Rectory Office before the wedding.

If either or both of you live abroad you will still need to have a Qualifying Connection but you will be unable to have your Banns read in your home parish. In that case you will have to be married by Common Licence. Also the standard advice to any couple where one is a Foreign National is to be married by Common Licence.

If you are unable to fulfil this commitment, you may apply directly for an Archbishop's Special Licence
stating your reasons for wanting to be married in the particular church; however, this may not be granted and the cost of the licence application [currently £175.00] is non- refundable.

Has either partner been married before? If so you will need to complete a form entitled Marriage in Church after Divorce and an early interview with the Parish Priest to discuss your options will be arranged before you can make a booking.


There are statutory and optional expenses. Please see the Fees page for details. Get in touch with the offfice and an application form will be sent to you. Please read, complete and return the forms with your deposit for £100:00 as soon as possible so that we can confirm your booking and help ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible.


If you would like help with planning your wedding and plan to be married in Beaulieu Abbey Church, please click here.

If you would like help with planning you wedding, but would prefer to be married in St Katherine's Exbury, please click here.

In order to undersand our requirements regarding photography and video-recording during your wedding service, please click here.